Asthma, an illness that affects a lot of people, happens when the airways leading to the lungs are inflamed and swollen. Breathing then becomes difficult, labored and to some extent, even painful that grasping for air is a common occurrence when an attack happens. Allergens are usually the cause. Because this varies with every person, the gravity of the attack also varies. It may be triggered by, among other things, diet or food intake, dust mites, animals, fungi, smoke and the environment.
Medications for asthma come in varied choices also. There are those that are taken for long-term and those that provide temporary relief. But these medications may bear some side effects with prolonged use. Hence, natural remedies and natural treatment is the most viable solution. This is especially good for children suffering from an attack as holistic health and natural healing would be so much more beneficial for their body.
To cure asthma or at least alleviate it, here are a few natural cures suggested below. Some of these are home remedies, herbal remedies or holistic approaches that are proven safe and sometimes, a lot more effective.
Natural Foods and Natural Cures
• Before sleeping at night, boil water with cloves of garlic. Add in honey and mix this with cinnamon powder. This homeopathic or home remedy relieves asthma that is in its beginning stages.
• Buy grapes at the grocers and soak this in water overnight. Transfer this in cold milk and let it sit for half an hour. Chewing on this will help relieve asthma too. It has effective natural healing properties.
• Mixing ginger powder with honey and black pepper would also make for a good natural cure as this can clear out the lungs’ air passages.
• If you feel an attack coming in the morning, drink a glass of water with honey and turmeric powder first, before taking any health food.
• One of the most natural remedies is apple cider vinegar. Dilute a tablespoon of it in water and drink after lunch and before bedtime.
• Have a proper diet, eat lots of health food and take health supplements and nutritional supplements. Eat a diet consisting primarily of fresh foods and vegetables, nuts and seeds, oatmeal, brown rice and whole grains. The overall diet needs to be relatively high in protein, low in carbohydrates and contain no sugar. Include garlic and onions in your diet. These foods contain quercetin and mustard oils, which have been shown to inhibit an enzyme that aids in releasing inflammatory chemicals.
Holistic and Homeopathic Living
Aside from health food, diet and supplements, a matter of lifestyle change is in order so that asthma attacks become far and frequent.
• Switch to natural products with most of the things you use at home like household cleaners, air fresheners or even body powder and cologne used for personal hygiene.
• Use air filter to clean your atmosphere at home. It’s the most holistic health approach to asthma.
• Get rid of clutter in your house as they accumulate more dust. More dust can trigger an attack.
• Do exercises to strengthen the body and the lungs
• Avoid furry animals; the food additive BHA and BHT; tobacco and other types of smoke.
• Use the elimination diet to determine if certain foods aggravate the asthmatic condition. Common culprits include alfalfa, corn, peanuts, soy, eggs, beets, carrots, colas, cold beverages, dairy products, fish, red meat (especially pork), processed foods, salt, spinach, chicken and turkey, white flour and white sugar